1. Rose High – reminiscent of its moniker, Rose High is flirtatious yet addictive. It’s a sultry Afro neo soul jam, that shows off Marenikae’s vocal tones and versatility. It discussed a relationship that is addictive, but the protagonist is hesitant about staying in it and is also hesitant about walking away.
This song was heavily inspired by Nigerian crooner Dare Art Alade.
Produced by Nigerian producer Bigfoot.
2. Gidi – An homage to the city MARENIKAE grew up in Lagos, Nigeria and an ode to honest work and honest living. Refuting the idea that most Nigerians are scammers. A fusion of neo-soul and jazz style syncopation combined with some feel good African drums.
GIDI released on the 19th of Dec 2017, video shot in Lagos, directed by ALEXIS, coming soon. Song produced by Bigfoot and soprano. Inspired by Nigerian artist Sade
3.Smooth Operator – a colorful mid-tempo track celebrating and embracing the Ajebutter slang and urging the listener to be true to whatever their “butter” is. A song about celebrating the underdog and how one should never underestimate another person regardless of how “smooth” and “cool” they look. Also making fun of a Nigerian habit of leaning on cars and using the action metaphorically to symbolize disrespect.
Single Released 7th of Nov,2017, video shot by Patrick Ellis in Atlanta and is to be released March 14th.
3. The Bad Bitch interludes- the metaphorical slap in the face that every woman needs to remind them that they are worth everything. Womanist fueled angst against African drums reminds women to be bold and unapologetic versions of themselves. The song switches up from an infectious African beat to a dirty minimal breakdown. Extremely catchy.
4. Luh u ryt – MARENIKAE pulls from her American influences with a Backstreet Boy interpolation in this love song determined to convince a loved one that unconditional love is given freely not earned. The most traditionally African beat on the album but Marenikae delivers vocals and lyrics in a very contemporary style. Very infectious.
5. Vybz – with a melodic pace synonymous with its moniker, Vybz is the interpolation of the Yoruba term “GONGO ASO KUTUPA”! Translation: fantastic things will happen. The cocky lyrics suggests telling a significant other to come to wherever you’re at because fantastic things happen “anywhere you dey”.
Inspired by Nigerian artist 9ice, Produced by Bigfoot
6. Kraze/Krase – another opportunity for feminine boldness as MARENIKAE taunts with promises of being too much to handle. The song is brazened yet flirty with an undeniable hint of sensuality.
Produced by Bigfoot